Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Tomatoes, Tomatoes, and more Tomatoes

This year, our garden was semi-sucsessful. We had leaf lettuce, cucumbers, parsely, lemon balm, and tomatoes. Tomatoes are so strong, it is still producing. It does not produce enough to can, but it does produce too many to eat. On my kitchen counter, there are many tomatoes...


Have you ever seen the TV show called "Iron Chef"? It is a very popular Japanese TV show that aired in the US and it was a big hit. Basically, the show will bring two chefs on the show to compete, then they will tell them the secret theme ingredient to be used during the show. Those chefs then have to come up with several dishes featuring the ingredient. Then there dishes will be judged at the end of the show and the winner picked... Anyway, I felt like I needed to use many tomatoes as if they were the themed ingredient.

I made one of my favorite salads. Diced tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, a little bit of red onion, and parsely. Mix them in the bowl with Mayo (I use Japanese mayonase called kyupi.) and salt & pepper. That's it. It is very easy to make. Just remember to mix them before serving, otherwise, it will get too watery.



Since I had so many tomatoes, I decide to make a tomato bowl and stuff it with the salad as a special touch. I cooked the chicken with seasonings then a few minutes before turning the heat off, I added diced tomatoes. The juice from the tomatoes made the chicken so moist and good.


For dessert...


Did I get you? No, that is not tomatoes, They are strawberries. I have been craving for some sweets since yesterday, so, I decided to make this.

I was in a cooking mode today. I love to cook and I enjoy it, but not everyday.
Somedays I am just too tired to even be in the kitchen. You know the first word my hubby said after he saw all the dishes I made?

"Wow, were you bored today?" He loved the dinner.

8 comments :

  1. It all looks lovely, after waiting a long time for some sunshine our tomatoes are beginning to ripen (all at the same time) typical. I have only grown mini toms this year in hanging baskets and they are so good to eat as you walk around the garden.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you got me! I just blanced and froze my tomatoes since I make and can soups. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, everything looks yummy! Glad to see you had better progress with your tomatoes than I did.
    That chicken looks so delicious! Love your idea about using the tomatoe to hold the salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sachiko; thankyou for visiting my blog and also for your nice comments. I've just enjoyed viewing your blog...your fabulous food (yum) and lovely crafting. Hope to see you again soon.
    Many Blessings
    Judith
    http://creativestudio10.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment. This looks delicious. I've loved reading your blog and looking at the things you make. Great baby bibs. And your mum's embroidery is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look yummy! I recently found your blog and stalk it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on my blog. You're a fantastic cook! Baking is one thing I want to do more of when I retire from work? Your cake looks truly scrumptious! I love salads too, especially with mayo and dressings. Your bright and colourful photos are great. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is a site that has almost 8 thousand recipe for tomatoes. :)

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=tomatoes&fnSearchType=site

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin