Monday, April 25, 2011

Fundraising Yard Sale Update

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend.

On Saturday, I went to help out with the yard sale I posted about several times. It got postponed the first time due to bad weather, and just a few days before the yard sale, the location had to be changed. I was a bit worried that people would not come, but I am happy to report to you that the yard sale was a huge success!

Big thanks to the Noah Webster Academy! They allowed us use the gym for this yard sale. There were times it rained a little, but most of the items were in the gym. It worked out perfectly.

I met so many wonderful people that day. The people who organized the whole thing, helping out with their time, talents, and man power (it was a lot of work to set up and clean up). They were all there for one reason: to help the people in Japan. We all had the same desire to do something for a good cause.

Even the many people who came to shop or donate were so nice. I witnessed a few times that some people would pay for the stuff they bought, and wrote checks for more than they needed to pay. I couldn't help myself, I teared up a little.

It was a busy day, but I can't think of a better way to spend my Easter Saturday.

Let me share some of the pictures from the yard sale. (The lighting and my skill aren't good enough. Sorry about the picture quality...)

Look at all these people, and they kept coming...


There are so many items to sell in the gym and outside the gym.


The yard sale wasn't only for used items. There were some booths for crochet hats, hair bows, jewelries, badges, and custom order t-shirts!




Many children LOVED the balloon man. He was so talented! He created many cute balloon animals that I have never seen before.


At the end of the day, we pulled out the name for the winners for the quilts and aroma therapy oil kits. When I delivered the quilts to the winners, I felt a sense of peace and calmness. I know this is just a beginning, because the people in Japan will need help for a long time. My friends and I are talking about the next project. I don't know what we can do with limited time and resources. But I know when people come together for a common goal to help others, we can do something big.

I am happy to say that, this yard sale raised over $5000.00! They are all donated through the LDS Philanthropies. If you are interested a detailed report on the proceeds go check out the website liftjapan.org. The web site was founded by group of MBA students at Brigham Young University (their efforts are not officially endorsed by BYU), who have a deep desire to help people in Japan. In fact, one of the people who founded the website was at the yard sale working hard. They have a few links to trusted organizations that would help people in Japan's immediate needs.

Please go check out their site if you are interested.

Since the earth quake, many thoughts went through my mind. The experience at the yard sale definitely made me think a lot about us. "Us", people. Bad things (I am talking about many different things in general) happen to good people, I have seen many of those in the past. I believe that they are sort of a test to see how we can pull through that situation. And I know that the challenges are not just for the people in the middle of the hardships. As a child of God, we are also tested for our compassions, generosities, humility and so on. Don't you think so?

My family is still in Sendai. I don't think they are worried like I am. There are days that I get frustrated at being so far away, and feeling so useless. All I can do right now is keep moving forward with the effort to make a difference. Hopefully, when my family needs help, people close by will give them a helping hand.

5 comments :

  1. congrats for your success!

    Here in Spain we are not used to Yard sales (there are hardly none second hand store), but I have participate in an arts&crafts selling to raise funds.
    All around the world people is thinking in Japan and willing to help. I hope relief arrives soon to each coin os your country



    (Sorry for my outrageous English)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic! Such good news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations what a great fundraiser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sachiko san
    You have done a wonderful job.
    Congrats for fund collected and this will help the people who are suffering in Japan now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad it went so well, and so glad that it's helping you to feel more peace.

    People can be so good.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin